A few things I’ve learned about user interface design working on a flight project at NASA:
- Assume your operator is looking at your Graphical User Interface (GUI) at 3am after having been awake since 6am the previous day.
- Make stop buttons tiny/hidden to keep them from getting accidentally pressed.
- Make ABORT buttons huge.
- In your user guide, explain how each value on the GUI is calculated. Is it a raw value from telemetry or a processed one?
- Make fonts larger than you think they should be.
- Set each font individually in LabView or it will change when you move applications to a different computer.